I wanted to make lasagna but didn’t have any ricotta cheese on hand so I used cream cheese and sour cream which made it really creamy. My husband also wanted me to find ways to use up the spinach in our garden that was going to seed.
So for this lasagna recipe I decided to use spinach, and mushrooms which I also had on hand. Below is a picture of all the ingredients I used. I didn’t have regular ground Italian sausage. So I just used the links and pushed the meat out of the sleeve.
It may seem like a lot of cheese but this recipe made about 12-18 servings depending on how you cut it. This lasted my family of four, 3 days worth of lunches and dinners (which is worth it in my opinion).
I started cooking the pasta according to the directions on the box. (Mine said bring 6 quarts to a boil and add pasta and cook for 7 minutes.) While the pasta was cooking I heated a skillet on medium heat and added the Italian sausage, then the garlic and onion.
I browned the meat and then I pushed it to one side and added the spinach. I then take the meat and put it on top of the spinach to help it wilt faster. When the spinach was wilted I added the mushrooms and cooked it until mushrooms condensed about 2 -3 minutes then I set it aside.
When the pasta was finished cooking I drained the water and set it aside to cool a bit. That way it was not too hot to touch when I layered the lasagna.
In a bowl I added the sausage and veggie mixture and then poured in the pasta sauce and added 1/2 cup of the mozzarella, 1/2 cup of Parmesan and mixed to combine.
Then in a separate bowl I added all the cream cheese, all the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and mixed until well combined. Then I took a 13×9” baking dish and got my bowls of meat, cheese and pasta nearby so I could easily layer the lasagna.
I started with a layer of the meat mixture, then a layer of pasta, then I spread the cheese mixture evenly on top, then a layer of meat and another layer of pasta.
I kept filling the dish this way until the dish was full and I ended the layers with a layer of pasta covered in the meat sauce and I sprinkled the top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
I baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, and it came out perfectly cheesy and creamy.
- 1 Lbs Italian Sausage
- 12 oz Lasagne Pasta
- 24 oz Can of Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 Pound of Mushrooms
- 2 Bowls of Fresh Spinach (2 Cups Cooked)
- 12 oz Mozzarella Cheese (2 Cups Shredded)
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (Shredded)
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 3 Cloves Of Garlic
- Start cooking pasta according to the directions on the box. (Mine said bring 6 quarts to a boil and add pasta and cook for 7 minutes.)
- While the pasta cooks heat a skillet on med heat and add chopped onion, garlic and meat. Brown the meat and then add the spinach. When the spinach has wilted add the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms have condensed about 2 -3 minutes then set aside.
- When pasta is finished cooking drain water and set aside to cool a bit (That way its not too hot to touch when you layer the lasagna).
- In a bowl add all the cream cheese, all the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl add the sausage and veggie mixture and then pour in pasta sauce and add 1/2 cup of mozzarella, 1/2 cup of Parmesan and mix to combine.
- Take a 13x9'' baking dish and have your bowls and pasta nearby so you can easily start to layer the lasagna. Start with a layer of the meat mixture, then a layer of pasta, then spread the cheese mixture evenly on top, then a layer of meat and another layer of pasta.
- Keep filling the dish this way until the dish is full ending the layers with a layer of pasta covered in the meat sauce and sprinkled with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes